Become an Equity Release Adviser
To become an Equity Release adviser candidates must first pass a professional qualification such as The Certificate in Regulated Equity Release (CeRER®). CeRER is the benchmark professional qualification for any candidate that wants to provide UK Equity Release advice. Equity release refers to circumstances when candidates over a certain age can release equity from their main residence to fund retirement or long term care without the need to sell their home. UK mortgages and Equity Release schemes are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), which requires all advisers to attain the relevant qualification before they can do so. CeRER is a London Institute of Banking and Finance Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF) Level 3 qualification and is listed as an appropriate qualification recognised by the FCA. Candidates must already be CeMAP qualified (See here).
An Equity Release adviser will recommend to their clients which is the most appropriate type of Equity Release scheme in order to fulfil their needs and circumstances. Advisers must use their skills and expertise to establish client affordability and suitability from a vast range of products. Advisers can work as either an employed adviser and get paid a salary or as self-employed where they can charge a fee or receive commission from the lender.
- Meeting with clients to discuss their current circumstances to establish affordability and suitability.
- Select the most appropriate scheme from the vast range available.
- Explain complex financial information simplistically to clients.
- Explain the features, benefits and risks of the products recommended.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Honest, trustworthy and ethical.
- Sociable and friendly.
- Hardworking and diligent in order to keep their knowledge up to date.
- Organised – Advisers must be organised in order to maintain adequate records in order to remain FCA compliant.
The Certificate in Regulated Equity Release (CeRER®) is a professional qualification for any candidate who wants to work as an Equity Release adviser. UK financial services are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). CeRER® is a London Institute of Banking and Finance RQF Level 3 qualification and is recognised by the Financial Skills Partnership. Candidates must be already CeMAP qualified before they can complete the CeRER qualification.