Become a mortgage advisor
Skills and role of a Mortgage advisor
A mortgage advisor will recommend to their clients which is the most appropriate type of mortgage in order to buy a property. Advisors must use their skills and expertise to establish client affordability and suitability from a vast range of products. Advisors must also assist their clients to protect their mortgage and property by selling the most appropriate insurance products including life cover, income protection and property insurance. Advisors can work as either an employed advisor and get paid a salary or as self-employed where they can charge a fee or receive commission from the lender and insurance company.
- Meeting with clients to discuss their current circumstances to establish affordability and suitability.
- Select the most appropriate products from the vast range available.
- Explain complex financial information simplistically to clients.
- Explain the features, benefits and risks of the products recommended.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Honest, trustworthy and ethical.
- Sociable and friendly.
- Hardworking and diligent in order to keep their knowledge up to date.
- Organised – Advisors must be organised in order to maintain adequate records in order to remain FCA compliant.
The Certificate in Mortgage Advice and Practice (CeMAP) is a professional qualification for any candidate who wants to work as a mortgage advisor. UK financial services are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). CeMAP® is a London Institute of Banking and Finance RQF Level 3 qualification and is recognised by the Financial Skills Partnership.